Thursday, October 28, 2010

Third Movement: Fiddles--Little and Large

       I remember one day, not far into the beginning of  fourth grade, that was especially exciting.  Our class was going to The Instrumental Music Room to pick out instruments to learn to play!  We could choose any string, woodwind, brass or percussion instrument, and when we got good enough, we could play in the school orchestra. Kathie and I had already been experimenting on an old beat up violin in her basement.  I liked it because it made sense to me:   put your fingers down one by one, and the notes get higher.  Being left-handed, I held the violin backwards, not knowing the correct way.  But I knew for sure that is what I wanted to play.  Kathie  was also going to choose violin, and we were both thrilled when we opened the black cases and found beautiful,  shiny violins nestled inside.  I was a bit shocked that Mr. Hasenaur, the music teacher, made me switch to holding and fingering the violin with my left hand and bowing with the right.  He assured me it would become second nature soon enough.  And he was right.  By the Christmas concert, Kathie and I were both in the  orchestra second violin section and having a ball.  We even got applause when we returned to our classroom after the Holiday Concert Assembly.  Playing in an orchestra has always been just about my favorite thing, so I am very thankful that I ended up being able to make a living doing what I love.
                                                         
     As I mentioned earlier, both my parents loved music--my dad so much, that he installed speakers in the bathroom in order to listen to the classical radio station as he showered and got ready for work.  The station came on the air at 7 am and aptly, its theme song was the Hornpipe form Handel's Water Music.  Because the radio was on almost all the time my dad was home, and we often attended Rochester Philharmonic concerts, I got to hear how violin should, in a  perfect world, sound.  But before I could master fancy technique and a lovely tone, I had to learn to play in tune.  I have my devoted mother to thank for that.  As I would practice in the living room during the evenings, she would call out, "B flat!" or "That note is sharp!"  from the kitchen while she was doing dishes.  She would also accompany me on the piano and help me with my etudes. Without my mother's help, I truly don't know if I would have been  successful as a string player.  I finally learned to hear intonation (whether a note is in tune, not too high or too low) because of her constant help.   For that, I am forever grateful.

     Kathie and I eventually moved into the first violin section.  That was really fun because then we got to play the melody.  When we entered  junior high, we played in that orchestra, too and by then I was taking private lessons with a friend of my mother's.  But one day, the orchestra teacher, Mrs. Powell asked me if my new friend Susan, who also played violin, and I, if we would like to try playing the string (or double) bass.  We were both tall (over 5 feet, eight inches) and no one else was interested.  We needed a bass in the orchestra, so we both agreed to give it a try.  I immediately fell in love with the deep tone, and for the first time didn't have a stiff neck, like I did playing violin.  For a while, Sue and I would take turns on bass in the orchestra and then switch back to violin.  But after taking bass and violin lessons that summer at the Hochstein Music School, I decided I wanted to concentrate on bass.  I dropped violin and never looked back.

     When Sue, Kathy and I got to high school, Kathie decided to give up violin and play only piano, which she did in the orchestra.  She also got to play with some sort of contraption which was placed inside the upright piano and made it sound like a harpsichord.  This was great for playing the music of Baroque composers such as Bach and Handel.  Sue and I played bass in the Orchestra, Concert Band, and Dance Band.  We also formed a folk music group, The Five, with Kathie and our other two friends, coincidentally also named Sue and Kathy. (I wanted to call the group Two Kathies, Two Sues and a Lee, but was out-voted.)  I played guitar with the other Sue, the first Sue played bass, and we all sang.  Later I would sing and play bass and guitar in a folk-rock group with another set of friends.  Music was already my life.  I only wish I had done more in the way of studying voice.  But it's not too late, and I may take it up again one day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment